Monday, June 17, 2013

Oklahoma and New Mexico

Well, I am getting further west.  I am slowly starting to get into the traveling groove, not needing to be on the move all the time, and trying to slow down and smell the roses.  It is a good feeling, and I have seen some pretty sweet sights so far.

I camped at a small lake in Oklahoma.  The mosquitoes were pretty nasty, I was convinced they were going to just carry me away.  However, I did get to kayak out onto the lake and watch a really spectacular sunset.  Camped the evening, and then trucked for Albuquerque the next day.  On the way to Albuquerque, I saw a little crop duster buzzing around over the fields.  Man, they look like fun!





Hung out for a few days in Albuquerque with a good friend Mandy.  We went hiking at Tent Rocks national monument, there was some really cool stuff to see there.  We also saw Man of Steel (good movie!) and I caught up on the latest Dr. Who.  All kinds of fun!





Chilling in the shade.  This is the way to hike!

The next day, I went out to White Mesa mountain bike area.  It was a spectacular trail.  About two hours getting around the trail (I am still getting used to being at 6000 feet in 100 degree weather!).  The trail ran about 4 miles down a ridge and then turned around and ran back up a parallel ridge.  There were some pretty interesting edge of the cliff sections, but the views were worth it!




There was a really cool 30 foot deep pit along the trail.  It was the only place the whole ride I saw any water!  And it was at the top of one of the ridges!  New Mexico has some pretty spectacular geological formations.  Between the colossal ridges, buttes, mesa, and everything else, there is no shortage of places to explore.
All in all, New Mexico is pretty spectacular!

No comments:

Post a Comment