Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Blast off

The time has come for me to truly set off into the unknown.  I have already cut ties with my old life, and now the truck is packed up and ready to be my base of operations for the next 1-2 months.  I have a custom hammock stand (long 2x4), padded kayak carrier (blue camping pad wrapped truck rack), and a custom fit bike holder (fork mount bolted to slab of wood).  There are even custom cargo containers strapped into the back seat (plastic tubs and string).



It turns out it takes quite a lot of gear to be ready for all of this adventure for an entire summer. 


And I am starting to get the tiniest inkling of how the explorers that left Britain for America, or that left a settled homestead to go to the wild west felt.  It is scary.  When you think about it too hard, it leaves that little knot in your stomach that is your body saying 'Dude, you're crazy!'  But its exciting!

It feels like a roller coaster ride.  When you first make the commitment to break ties and go travel, you have just gotten in line.  You aren't quite committed yet, but its hard to turn back and you have lots of time to think.  Then comes breaking all of your old ties.  This is when you strap in to the coaster at the bottom of the first hill.  The enormity of the undertaking starts to sink in, and you have to gulp down that little knot and go for it.

I am now at the top of the hill.  I am just starting to feel the coaster plunging into the abyss, and you can see that the track just drops straight off.  In my case, I am leaving my comfy house and the security of the familiar for a road trip in a 16 year old truck with 280,000 well loved miles.  It is at the same time exhilarating, scary, and wonderful.

But I know that out there, adventure awaits.  There is so much world, so many grand vistas to take your breath away, wonderful people to meet, cultures to sample, and mistakes to be lived. 

Bill Waterson (Calvin and Hobbes) said it best, "Its a magical world, Hobbes ol' buddy... Lets go exploring!"

No comments:

Post a Comment